My dear fellow citizens of Arunachal,
1. On the Momentous occasion of 28th Statehood Day, I extend my heartfelt greetings and felicitations to all my brothers and sisters of Arunachal Pradesh.
2. This is the day to pay our rich obeisance to late Rajiv Gandhi, former Prime Minister of India, who conferred the Land of Rising Sun, Arunachal Pradesh a new political identity, 27 years ago. The transition of this hilly land-locked state over the years has been incredible. The state has transcended from its infant stage to one of the fastest growing states in the country today. Social sectors, human resource development, tourism and infrastructure development witnessed a quantum leap all these years while we made satisfactory progress in promoting Agriculture and allied sectors in the state.
3. There have been few unpleasant incidences in the recent past which has shaken the state and its people. The whole world stood behind Arunachal Pradesh to protest the racial death of our son Nido Tania. President of India, Hon’ble Pranab Mukherjee, Hon’ble Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Madam Sonia Gandhi, and Hon’ble Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde have supported the cause for enactment of strong anti-racial law.
4. May I reveal that the Congress Legislator Party in its recent meeting has unanimously resolved to demand an anti-racial law while extending solidarity to the bereaved family!
5. To uphold the freedom of the Press, my Government has deployed police personnel and installed CCTV cameras in all media houses for effective security.
6. While all media establishments in the state capital have been declared prohibited areas after 5 pm to ensure safety and security of the media persons.
7. There has been unfortunate incident along the inter-state boundary recently. My Government along with Assam Government has drawn the attention of Union Home Ministry to find a lasting solution to the imbroglio. I appeal to the peoples of both the states to maintain their age-old relations and thwart attempt of divisive forces to stain our ties.
8. In tune with the UPA Government's policy for a responsive and transparent governance, my Government has decided to bring Lokayukta Bill in the ensuing Budget session of the state Assembly.
9. As 'Unity in diversity' is the social mosaic of the state, it is a day for introspection as to what we have achieved so far and evolve strategy to achieve our much desired status of a prosperous and advanced state for a secured tomorrow.
10. Adopting 'Power to People'as the buzz word, my Government took many initiatives through a committed goal and vision with numerous policy decisions to benefit all sections of the society.
11. It is for this theme of "Power to people" that my Government is devolving Powers, Functionaries and Fund to the Panchayati Raj Institutions and Municipal Councils besides giving top priority to the empowerment of youth, the women and the farmers by channelizing their power towards nation building.
12. After successful conduct of elections to the Panchayati Raj Institutions in 2013 massive exercises have been done for devolution of powers to the local bodies. Accordingly, my Government has approved appointment of District Zilla Parishad Chairperson to head the District Planning Committee excluding the notified urban areas.
13. Construction of Zilla Parishad office buildings in all the 17 Districts of the State with Rs. one crore each is being taken up under Special Plan Assistance Fund. We provided vehicles to all the Zilla Parishad Chairpersons and fixed honorariums while financial powers have been granted as follows:
a. Gram Panchayat - upto 5 lakh
b. Anchal Samiti - upto 7 lakhs
c. Zilla Parishad - upto 20 lakhs
14. We also created 768 posts of functionaries under Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan ranging from 591computer-cum-account assistant to Panchayat Technical Assistant (JE))177 posts. In all 68 Gram Panchayat office buildings are being built with Rs 6 lakhs each under the above grant.
15. My Government has also earmarked financial package of Rs. 30 Cr. for PRIs to be divided among 177 Zilla Parishad segments.
16. I am proud to announce in this august gathering that there is a special grant of Rs. 95 Cr. as "Performance Grant" from the Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj which shall be released only after the assessment of performances of the PRIs. Now it is for you to perform and give your best in providing services to the rural masses and avail the benefit.
17. Let me take this opportunity to announce here today that if the PRI members take their responsibility in a holistic manner and the benefits of development schemes genuinely reach the poor and needy, my Government will enhance the financial package to PRIs upto Rs. 350 Cr. per annum from coming years. Moreover, 29 departments have been transferred to the PRIs under devolution of powers.
18. As per the commitment of my Government to implement the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act, municipal elections for the first time were held for Itanagar and Pasighat paving way for grass root level decision making in the urban areas. Municipal Bodies will be constituted for other urban-centres of the state in a phased manner.
19. While we provided new office buildings and vehicles to the chief councilors, Deputy Councilors and Municipal Secretaries of both the municipalities, separate budget of Rs. 5.46 Cr for both the urban local bodies and Rs. 23.24 lakhs under TFC grant have been transferred. We have transferred all total 14 functions including civic charges enlisted in the 12th Schedule of the Constitution of India while remaining functions shall be devolved in a phased manner. We have decided to provide additional grant of Rs 5 Cr. for the Municipal Councils of Itanagar and Pasighat.
20. We have also decided to provide financial powers as follows:
a. Chief Councilor – upto 10 Lakhs
b. Municipal Council - upto 20 lakh
21. Slaughter house worth Rs. 1359.74 Lakhs has been sanctioned for Itanagar by Government of India while burial and cremation ground is being proposed for Itanagar for Rs. 10 cr as central grant.
22. My Government accords special attention towards the welfare and wellbeing of its employees. While Dearness Allowance of Government employees have been increased to 90% making it at par with the central Government employees, we have enhanced the house building advance from 7 lakhs to 15 lakhs.
23. We are also providing conveyance advance, computer advance along with other necessary perks for our hardworking employees besides House Rent Allowance to the eligible Government employees.
24. The Government is alive to the problems of working class so a number of welfare measures have been initiated. We have enhanced the minimum wages of labourers to:
Unskilled (area - I) - 80 to Rs 150 per day,
90 to Rs. 170 per day for Area -2
Semi-skilled (area-I) -85 to Rs. 160 per day,
95 to Rs. 180 per day for Area -2
Skilled (area - I)- 90 to Rs. 170 per day,
100 to Rs. 190 per day Areas - 2
25. Under the CM’s Universal Health Insurance Scheme, financial support shall be provided to 10 lakh population of the state to achieve 'Good Health for All'. We shall cover all populations including retired government employees under the scheme.
26. The state Government has approved creation of separate Directorate of Medical Education in the Health and Family Welfare Department, filled up all posts of specialists and super-specialists and ensure posting of specialist doctors in all district hospitals.
27. Monthly pension under CM's Disability Pension Scheme increased to Rs. 1,000.
28. The Union Rural Development Ministry has provided additional allocation of 3111 houses for state’s Puroik community.
29. The Women Self-Help Groups shall be provided vendor and fair price shop licenses for enabling them to sell their own horticultural and agricultural products besides handloom and handicraft items for ameliorating their economy.
30. In recognition of our all out efforts to boost our Agriculture and Allied Sectors by quantum jump in production, the President of India has conferred Krishi Karman Award (a commendation award) to Arunachal Pradesh for second consecutive year. While congratulating the officers of the departments and the farmers for their wholehearted endeavours to achieve the goal, I appeal them to maintain the momentum to convert Arunachal from an importer to an exporter state. To encourage the farming community, the CM’s Agriculture Mechanization Programme has benefitted 1700 farmers and the number of beneficiaries will be increased in coming years.
31. Hoisting of the prestigious 2nd International Tourism Mart at Tawang during October 2013, reflected the importance that the Government of India has been attaching to join hands with the state Government to boost the vast potential tourism sector.
32. The state won numerous awards as a testimony to its endeavour to open up the sector.
33. Prioritizing the education sector, the state Government has proposed six Model Degree Colleges and 10 new Polytechnics, while a new College of Agriculture has been set up in the Central Agriculture University (CAU) campus at Pasighat.
34. In a bid to provide a platform for the hidden talents to showcase their potentials, games and sports has been introduced from village to state level under the Chief Minister’s Trophy – Football and Volleyball (Men and Women)-2013 whose final matches are scheduled today. While about 200 sports persons have been employed under sports quota which was hiked to 10 percent and many received cash awards as incentive.
35. Moreover, outdoor stadium of national standard have been proposed at Yupia, Ziro, Daporijo and Pasighat in first phase and at Chimpu, Alo and Tezu in second phase besides indoor and mini stadiums in different places of the state.
36. To ease traffic congestion in the Capital Complex, fly-overs and sky-walks have been sanctioned and being built in selected locations.
37. My Government has allocated funds for construction of District and Mini-Secretariats besides converting existing bitumen roads to cement concrete roads in State Capital, District HQs and townships in a phased manner.
38. To improve the power position in the state, the Union Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) has decided to take up a separate inter-state transmission line project worth Rs. 3,014 crore to be funded by the ministry as well as from the Non- Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR).
39. Tea and Rubber Cultivation is being promoted under Chief Minister's Mission Mode Project to generate rural employment.
40. We shall set up CM’s Livelihood mission school one in each assembly constituency to provide skill to the unemployed youths to make them productive.
41. Besides, we have been taking up the landmark Flagship Schemes of the UPA Government, including the National Food Security Act, the Right to Education (RTE), the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA), the Land Acquisition Rehabilitation & Resettlement Bill, the Right to Information (RTI), the Bharat Nirman, National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) and the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNnURM), etc. in a holistic manner and ensuring that the fruits of benefits is being reaped by the needy.
42. I acknowledge the contribution made by Government officers and employees, particularly serving in difficult areas, who are working tirelessly to implement Government programmes and policies, besides the Panchayat leaders, Municipal councillors, public leaders, social workers, all stake-holders, gaon burahs, youths, students and the media for their constructive role in maintaining peace and tranquility and their contribution to its economic progress.
43. Lastly, I convey my heartiest greetings to one and all on this auspicious occasion. While toeing the advice of former Prime Minister late Indira Gandhi I quote- "Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic", unquote.
44. I make a fervent appeal to each one of you to be our partner on this journey to turn our dream to take our beloved state of Arunachal Pradesh to newer heights into a reality. Your presence here today has re-ignited our energy. Let us take a vow to work with more energy and vigour in achieving our goal.
Together we will do it!
JAI HIND ! JAI ARUNACHAL !